Frequently Asked Questions

As a student renting for the first time, you will have a lot of questions. We have put together a list of FAQs for you.


House Hunting

If you were to proceed with one of our properties you would sign a Joint Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement. If you sign a contract with other tenants, the obligations and liabilities of the parties involved are joint and several. You can view a draft copy of our tenancy agreement here.

Please speak to a member of our team as we may be able to offer an alternative arrangement. 

Occasionally we do have individual rooms to rent in shared houses but our houses are usually accommodated by groups on a joint tenancy agreement. You can view our available rooms here

Simply call 0113 345 0036, email targetpty@aol.com, use the contact form on our website, or send us a message via social media and we will arrange a convenient time. If you let us know your requirements, we can pick out suitable properties for you or if you have a specific property in mind, just let us know the reference given in the property description.

Unfortunately not, all our properties are furnished. Further details can be found on the properties page.  

If you’ve found your ideal house with Target Properties, give us a call on 0113 345 0036 to confirm which property you would like to sign for, then we can arrange to complete the paperwork either online or at our office in Hyde Park.

The property description will include a rental price with and without bills if there is a bills inclusive option. If you’re a student, there are a number of companies that offer bills inclusive packages such as Huddle Utilities, Split the Bills, Glide, One Utility Bill, however you can usually save money by sorting bills yourself, it’s worth shopping around to get the best deal!

Yes! We are popular with students, but we also accommodate professionals. 

We take a deposit to cover any cleaning and/or damages at the end of the tenancy. The amount varies for each property and is refundable at the end of the tenancy providing there are no issues.

Yes! The deposit will be registered with/held by MyDeposits. You will receive a deposit certificate once this has been completed. Further information can be found at mydeposits.co.uk.

All of our tenants (students and professionals), are required to provide a UK rental guarantor. A guarantor is someone who will pay the rent should the tenant default. Professional applicants also need to provide a previous Landlord reference. 

Rent should be paid by standing order on dates specified in your tenancy agreement.

We insure the property but we do not cover your personal belongings. Therefore we advise you take out contents insurance. There are many insurance companies that can help you, but Endsleigh is a common choice for students.

Load More


Moving In

We like to make the move in day run smoothly, but unfortunately sometimes issues do arise. We have a very short turnaround to inspect our properties, instruct cleaners to attend and fix maintenance issues where necessary. This could mean your property is in need of repair and is in the queue to be sorted. We advise you to take a look around the property on the day you arrive and make a list (with photos) of any issues and email it to us. If there are issues, don’t worry we will make every effort to deal with the problems as quickly as possible.

You will need to pop into your nearest Post Office branch, or contact the Royal Mail. Full details on how to re-direct your post from your old address can be found on the Post Office website here.

Your utility bills will be sorted for you but you will need to sort your own internet, council tax and TV licence. 

For your council tax, as a student you will need to register your details with the council and obtain an exemption letter which confirms you are exempt from paying council tax. As a professional, you will need to register your details with the council and set up a payment plan with them.

Locate the meters and take note of the meter readings and the date you took the readings. Then, find out who the current providers are by calling:

Gas – 0870 608 1524

Electric – 0845 330 0889

Water – 0345 124 2424

If you wish to change suppliers, you’re welcome to do so but first you must register with the existing supplier from the first date of your tenancy agreement.

As for your internet, you should consider arranging this as soon as possible, most providers are usually very busy with limited slots for installations, so get it booked in as soon as you have decided who to go with. You can purchase a TV licence online, by setting up a payment plan or making a one off payment.

Don’t worry; we’re here to help! We’ve put together a handbook that explains what to do in different scenarios and how to report maintenance issues. You will be emailed a copy of the handbook when you collect your keys and you’ll also find an information sheet in the property. If you have any questions during your tenancy there are many ways to contact us

No, but you will still be responsible for your rent and bills on the property from the start date of the agreement, even if you’re not living there from the start date. 

Unfortunately not, we usually have a very short turnaround and will need to instruct cleaners and fix maintenance issues where necessary. We will need the property empty to carry out these tasks. There are many storage facilities in Leeds, some of which are:

Ready Steady Store


Big Yellow 

Load More


Moving Out

You will need to pop into your nearest Post Office branch, or contact the Royal Mail.  Full details on how to re-direct your post can be found on the Post Office website.

Please do not leave your keys with anyone other than Target Properties; otherwise there is a chance they could be lost or returned late, resulting in charges and deductions from your deposit. Clearly mark your name on an envelope and pop your keys into it, securely seal the envelope and post it through the office door.  A member of staff will collect it the next working day. If you are posting your keys to the office, please ensure you use tracked/recorded delivery. You will be responsible if they arrive late or are lost in the post.

Don’t worry, no proof is required. We will ensure all the bills have been paid.

Gas, electric & water – you should send us a copy of your final bills, which should clearly state that the bills have been paid up until the end date of your agreement. We will also accept a letter/email from your utility providers stating that there are no outstanding bills on the account up until the end date of your agreement. This should show the property address, tenants’ names, dates of the billing period and signature from the utility company.

Council tax – Students, you will need to provide us with an exemption letter from the council. Professionals, you will need to provide us with proof of payment, or a letter from the council stating that there are no outstanding payments on the property.

We aim to release the deposits within 10 working days after receiving proof of final paid bills.

In order to receive your full deposit back you must make sure that:

  • The property has been returned in the same condition and state of cleanliness as it were at the start of the tenancy;
  • All personal belongings and rubbish has been removed from the property and disposed of correctly;
  • There is no damage or alterations to the property (excluding general wear & tear);
  • There is no outstanding rent on the property;
  • The keys have been returned to us on time and in full.

For more information regarding your deposits, please refer to your tenancy agreement.

Unfortunately not, it’s likely you will have a joint tenancy agreement and the deposit is protected until the end date on the agreement. The property will be inspected at the end of the tenancy; we will check all the rent for the property has been paid and we also require you to provide proof that all bills have been paid up until the end date of your agreement. Then once complete, the deposits will be processed.

Unfortunately not, we usually have a very short turnaround and need to carry out an inspection whilst the property is empty to assess if any cleaning or repairs are required ready for the new tenants, therefore you need to move out when your tenancy expires. 

There are many storage facilities in Leeds, some of which are:

Ready Steady Store


Big Yellow

Load More


Still have a question? Please contact us, we’re happy to help!